Friday, August 3, 2012

Post holiday blues


The last few weeks I have been getting back into the swing of things and life in Barham. After four weeks of non-stop adventuring around England and Paris and a twenty-three hour flight home, I knew to be on the lookout for the post holiday blues… it didn’t help but at least I knew to be on the lookout…

It took a good five or six days for my 24-hour internal body clock to readjust from the effects of jetlag. Long haul flights wreck havoc with the body’s circadian rhythms and I found myself struggling to stay awake past 7pm but then frustratingly wide awake at 3am. Happily I am now back to my usual routine of staying up late, getting up early and having the occasional nap at lunchtime.

No sooner had I adjusted to Barham time when the restlessness set in. Rather selfishly all I want is to head off on another excellent adventure. Already I’ve been consulting road maps to see just how far I could travel in the course of a weekend and wondering if a two thousand kilometre round trip would be excessive… as I eye off a little spot I’d like to see in South Australia’s Flinders Ranges.

Whether they are big or small, for most of us, having moments to look forward to is what keeps our lives so interesting. What I find so fascinating is the never knowing what may lie around the next metaphoric corner and the seemingly insignificant choices that can end up changing the whole course of one’s life.

Luckily for me and my current restlessness there are a number of things coming up locally that I’m very much looking forward to. Take for instance this weekend; our talented local thespians and dedicated production team of the Golden Rivers Theatre Group launch their annual play. This year we are being treated to Rodgers and Hammerstein’s 1957 stage production of Cinderella.

Richard Rodgers (1902–1979) and Oscar Hammerstein II (1895–1960) were an innovative and successful American musical theatre writing team with Rodgers composing the music and Hammerstein writing the lyrics. During the 1940s and 1950s they created a string of popular Broadway musicals including Oklahoma! (1943); South Pacific (1949); The King and I (1951); Cinderella (1957) and The Sound of Music (1959).

The team at Golden Rivers Theatre Group will be performing for six magical evenings and two amazing matinées, starting with tomorrow (Saturday) night’s opening performance commencing at 7.30pm in the Faulkner Pavilion.

Sunday morning I’m planning on enjoying an outing to the Barham Riverside Park for the annual Winterfest Market. Run by the Barham Festivals Committee and now in its twelfth year, the market is held from 10am until 2pm.  With something for everyone, there is an abundance of entertainment, hot food, quality produce and craft to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment